Erkko Ruohoniemi specialises in competition law related cases, such as merger control notifications to the Finnish and EU Competition Authorities as well as cases of abuse of dominant position and cartels.
Erkko has also a wide experience in matters related to telecom and energy regulation. In addition, he advises both procurement entities and private companies in public procurement issues and is co-author of a popular handbook on public procurement. Erkko is also an expert in advertising and marketing law.
- Master of Laws (LL.M.), University of Turku, 1996
- Attorney-at-Law, 2006
- Merilampi Attorneys Ltd., Partner 2008 –, Senior Associate 2006 – 2007, Associate 2004 – 2006
- Ministry of Trade and Industry, Governmental Secretary 1996 – 2003
- Acted as counsel for the claimant in competition law related arbitration proceedings concerning damages for abuse of dominant position. Significant damages were awarded to the claimant.
- Represented Itella Corporation in a successful appeal against the decisions of the Finnish Communications Regulation Authority (FICORA) concerning the pricing of universal postal services. The Supreme Administrative Court reversed FICORA’s decisions.
- Represented Elisa Corporation in appeals to the Supreme Administrative Court about SMP-decisions made by the Finnish Communications Regulation Authority (FICORA) concerning Elisa Corporation. Decisions subject to the appeal were reversed and the case was remanded to FICORA.
- Represented numerous power-distribution network holders in several Market Court and Supreme Administrative Court procedures, for example collective appeals for 2nd and 3rd supervisory period declaratory decisions.
- Represented Fortum Corporation in appeal proceedings before the Market Court and the Supreme Administrative Court regarding Fortum / E.ON Finland merger preconditions set by the Finnish Competition Authority (FCA). As a result of the appeal, the preconditions set for the merger were held to be contrary to law and unfounded.
- Represented Rautaruukki Corporation and Wärtsilä Corporation in merger control proceedings before the EU Commission regarding the Oy Ovako Ab joint venture with SKF AB. The Commission cleared the transaction unconditionally.
- Legal 500 EMEA (2018): Erkko Ruohoniemi leading individual in EU and Competition. Merilampi ranked in Tier 2.
- Chambers Europe, Competition/European Law (2018): Erkko Ruohoniemi ranked in Band 2. “Clients praise his ability to communicate: “He’s clear, he can express quite complicated matters in a very understandable way and he’s quick to understand the substance of the question”.”
- Global Competition Review’s GCR 100 (2019): Merilampi ranked as Highly Recommended.
- Legal 500 EMEA (2018): Erkko Ruohoniemi recommended in TMT.
- Legal 500 EMEA (2017): Erkko Ruohoniemi leading individual in EU and Competition.
- Chambers Europe, Competition/European Law (2017): “Clients describe his service as “effective”, in which he displays “good commitment“.”
- Legal 500 EMEA (2016): Erkko Ruohoniemi leading individual in EU and Competition.
- Chambers Europe, Competition/European Law (2016): “Erkko Ruohoniemi is noted especially for his expertise in public procurement matters. One source says “I’ve heard a few lectures he’s given which have been really good, and he has good insight into public procurement matters,” while another says “his comments are very good and to the point.“”
- Chambers Europe, Competition/European Law (2015): “Erkko Ruohoniemi has notable experience advising clients from the energy sector, recently advising Elisa Corporation on a number of competition law issues. “He is a huge expert in this area – he actually drafted the law“, say clients.”
- Legal 500 EMEA, EU and Competition (2015): “Merilampi routinely represents major international and domestic companies in various competition law matters including merger control, cartels and abuse of dominant position, as well as public procurement.”
- Legal 500 EMEA, EU and Competition (2014): “The communication flow is flawless at Merilampi and the commitment is outstanding and exceptional, demonstrating its ability even in the most complex areas.“
- Chambers Europe, Competition/European Law (2014): “Clients consider Erkko Ruohoniemi “very pragmatic and to the point” when acting on major competition cases. His competition law experience is broad, although he has recently been primarily active on public procurement projects and disputes.”
- Best Lawyers listed lawyer (Competition Law)
- Who’s Who Legal nominee (Public Procurement)