Satu-Anneli Kauranen specialises in Competition and EU Law. She has extensive experience of issues related to the abuse of dominant position, cartels and the exchange of information between companies, as well as distribution systems.
Due to Satu-Anneli’s notable international experience, merger notifications to the European Commission and national competition authorities naturally fall within her tasks. She also advises both procurement entities and private companies on public procurement issues. In addition, she has broad experience of EU regulatory law. She has advised a number of companies and trade associations on legal matters concerning, in particular, energy, chemicals (the REACH Regulation and biocides), as well as food and product safety.
- Master of Laws (LL.M.), University of Turku, 2000
- LL.M. (EU law and IPRs), Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, 2003
- Diploma in English Commercial Law, The University of Law, London, 2003
- Attorney-at-Law, 2006
- Merilampi Attorneys Ltd, Partner –, Specialist Counsel 2015 – 2017, Senior Associate 2010 – 2014
- McKenna Long & Aldridge LLP, Brussels, Associate 2007 – 2009
- Hogan & Hartson LLP, Brussels, Junior Associate 2006 – 2007
- Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton LLP, Brussels, Professional Support Lawyer 2004 – 2006
- European Commission, DG Competition, Brussels, Intern 2003 – 2004
- College of Europe, DG Development, Bruges, National Legal Expert 2000 – 2002
- ECAS Citizen Action Service, Legal Expert 2001 – 2008
- Represented Kesko Food Ltd before the Finnish Competition and Consumer Authority (FCCA) in merger control proceedings related to Kesko Food Ltd’s acquisition of the entire share capital in Suomen Lähikauppa Oy from the private equity investment firm Triton. The FCCA approved the acquisition conditionally.
- Represented Kesko Corporation before the European Commission and the Finnish Competition and Consumer Authority (FCCA) in merger control proceedings related to Kesko Corporation’s acquisition of the entire share capital in Onninen Oy from Onvest Oy. The European Commission and the FCCA approved the acquisition unconditionally.
- Advised Uponor Corporation on questions of competition law in its merger with KWH Group.
- Represented Koivunen Oy in the spare car parts cartel trial.
- Legal advisor to Suominen Corporation on questions of competition law in Suominen’s acquisition of Ahlstrom Corporation’s Home & Personal business, issued international corporate acquisition announcements to competition law officers of several different countries.
- Advised a major Japanese company on competition law questions relating to its capital loan arrangement.
- Advised European Investment Bank on questions regarding the interpretation of EU law and transfer of pensions.
- Represented several distribution network operators in Market Court proceedings, including complaints against confirmation orders of different monitoring periods.
- Represented several participants in bidding competitions and procurement units in Market Court proceedings.
- Legal 500 EMEA (2018): Satu-Anneli Kauranen recommended in EU and Competition.
- Chambers Europe, Competition/European Law (2018): “Satisfied clients compliment the team’s “good knowledge of competition law practice”.“
- Global Competition Review’s GCR 100 (2019): Merilampi ranked as Highly Recommended.