Jussi Ikonen is the Managing Partner of Merilampi, and he has vast experience in the legal field.
Jussi specialises in commercial litigation and arbitration. He has acted as a counsel in several major domestic and international arbitrations. He also regularly acts as an arbitrator and a mediator.
Jussi has extensive knowledge of and experience in a wide variety of cases arising out of e.g. contract law, tort law and liability issues. His practice also includes employment disputes and white-collar crime related matters.
Jussi is accredited as a mediator by the Finnish Bar Association, and he lectures regularly on topics related to dispute resolution and liability issues.
- Master of Laws (LL.M.), University of Lapland, 1998
- Trained at the Bench, 2001
- Attorney-at-Law, 2003
- Merilampi Attorneys Ltd., Managing Partner 2015 –, Partner 2010 –, Specialist Counsel 2009
- Roschier Attorneys Ltd., Lawyer 2001 – 2009
- A&L Goodbody Solicitors, Dublin, Visiting Lawyer 2007
- District Court of Oulu, Judge Trainee 2000 – 2001
- Hannu Gehör Oy, Attorneys-at-Law, Lawyer 1998 – 2000
Memberships and Positions of Trust
- Finnish Arbitration Association
- International Bar Association
- Supervisory Board of the Finnish Bar Association, deputy member 2013 – 2015
- Represented Nokia Corporation and its subsidiary in environmental liability claim. The case was heard before the Supreme Court. The Supreme Court handed down a precedent (KKO 2018:11), which was favorable to our client.
- Represented a big-four auditing company and responsible auditor in a landmark dispute and criminal investigation concerning auditor’s responsibility towards the client company. Charges against the responsible auditor were dismissed and the dispute was settled. Matter value approximately EUR 7 million.
- Represented Nordkalk Corporation in a major arbitration concerning a co-operation agreement. The Arbitral Tribunal approved Nordkalk’s claims in their entirety. Matter value more than EUR 50 million.
- Represented the subsidiary of Kesko Corporation in a dispute regarding the termination of director’s employment. The case was heard before the Supreme Court. The Supreme Court handed down a precedent in 2013 (KKO 2013:48), which was favorable to our client.
- Represented two former directors of a global IT giant in a criminal case concerning alleged aggravated fraud. The case was based on an allegation that the directors had misled the company’s clients in a contractual context. All charges against the directors were dismissed.
- Represented Lassila & Tikanoja Plc and its directors in a case concerning alleged breach of overtime regulations in several units in the capital region. All charges against our clients were dismissed.
- Regularly acts as arbitrator and mediator in several cases under the auspices of the Arbitration Institute of the Finland Chamber of Commerce.
- Chambers Global, Dispute Resolution (2019): “Jussi Ikonen is experienced handling contractual claims, professional liability cases and cross-border disputes. Clients describe him as “very responsive“.”
- Chambers Europe and Global, Dispute Resolution (2018): “He is valued by clients for his “extremely calm” demeanour as well as his “discreet and supportive” handling of case.”
- Legal 500 EMEA (2018): Jussi Ikonen recommended in Dispute Resolution and Employment.
- Chambers Europe and Global, Dispute Resolution (2017): “Clients say: “It has been a pleasure to work with Jussi. He’s very knowledgeable, gives timely responses and offers good client service.“
- Legal 500, Dispute Resolution (2017): “The highly regarded Jussi Ikonen and talented attorney Tapio Väätäinen head the practice.”
- Chambers Europe, Employment Law (2017): “Jussi Ikonen is marked out by sources for his reputation in a wide range of disputes and litigation, as well as his “solid performance” in contentious employment law cases.”
- Chambers Europe and Global, Dispute Resolution (2016): “Jussi Ikonen is described by interviewees as “very capable and precise.” He is regularly appointed as arbitrator in domestic and international cases, in addition to acting as counsel. His expertise focuses on cases concerning employment law, environmental liability and mining disputes, including litigation.”
- Legal 500, Dispute Resolution (2016): “Merilampi Attorneys Ltd “always keeps its promises and lives up to expectations“.”
- Chambers Europe, Dispute Resolution (2015): “Clients appreciate his “clear, insightful and timely advice“, with one source adding: “Thorough describes him best; he knows the cases and knows the details.“”
- Chambers Europe, Employment Law (2015): “Clients particularly value Jussi Ikonen’s “savvy, thought-provoking advice. I enjoy bouncing ideas off him.” He is notably active advising on employment disputes.”
- Chambers Europe, Dispute Resolution (2014): “Department co-head Jussi Ikonen is this firm’s most prominent figure in Finnish disputes and according to interviewees he “understands the big picture but also the strategic side” of disputes. He has had particular success lately in high-profile white-collar crime and employment law-related cases.”
- Chambers Europe, Employment Law (2014): “Clients consider him “very nice to work with – he always takes calls or returns them as soon as possible, is very calm and can be trusted. He definitely gets results – we won our case!“”
- Best Lawyers listed lawyer in Arbitration and Mediation, Labor and Employment Law and Litigation
Articles and Publications
- Ikonen, Jussi and Karanko, Antti: The Hague Convention on Choice of Court Agreements: Can Litigation Become a Viable Alternative to Arbitration in International Commercial Disputes? Liikejuridiikka 1/2016.