Emma Niemistö specialises in construction and real estate matters.
Her practice is particularly focused on demanding construction and project law assignments. She has broad experience in negotiating and drafting complex project agreements, providing risk management advice during construction and dispute resolution.
Emma has advised clients on major infrastructure, property development and industrial construction endeavours, on construction management and alliance contracting, and on prominent Finnish public private partnerships (PPP). She regularly represents key players in the construction industry in disputes both in litigation and arbitration proceedings.
In addition to her law degree, Emma has earned a Master of Science degree in Construction Economics and Management from the Helsinki University of Technology. She has authored books on construction management contracting and contractors’ guarantee liabilities, and is a sought-after lecturer on topics related to construction law and dispute management.
Emma heads our firm’s Real Estate and Construction practice group.
- Master of Science (Construction Economics and Management), Helsinki University of Technology, 2007
- Master of Laws (LL.M.), University of Helsinki, 2010
- Attorney-at-Law, 2014
- Merilampi Attorneys Ltd., Partner 2017 –
- Castrén & Snellman Attorneys Ltd., 2009 – 2016
- RIL Conciliation Ltd., 2007 – 2009
- NCC Construction Ltd., 2004 – 2009
Memberships and Positions of Trust
- Finnish Association of Civil Engineers
- Finnish Arbitration Association
- International Bar Association (IBA)
- National Representative, International Association of Young Lawyers (AIJA)
- Young Arbitration Club Finland (YAC)
- The Association of Finnish Lawyers
- Counsel to a major Finnish listed company in an arbitration governed by the Rules of the Arbitration Institute of the Finland Chamber of Commerce, regarding a construction dispute against its subcontractor in a significant infrastructure project.
- Advising Huntsman P&A UK Ltd. (trade name Venator) concerning the rebuild project of a plant in Pori, with tasks including drafting of several supply contracts and support in negotiations regarding an EPCm arrangement.
- Represented a Nordic supplier in a dispute concerning a subcontract relating to construction of the Clarion Hotel in Helsinki, with the matter ultimately being settled out of court on terms favourable to our client.
- Advised an international financing organisation in a renovation project concerning their Finnish headquarter premises.
- Represents the client of a large project management contracting project in a litigation dispute against a large Finnish listed construction company with an interest of over 5 MEUR.
- Frequently represents developers, owners and purchasers of real estate regarding disputes relating to the sale and purchase agreements, and advises parties particularly as regards complex project implementation liabilities.
- Frequently represents not only contractor/suppliers and employers, but also construction managers and other consultants in drafting of contracts, negotiations during projects, as well as preparing of claims and settling of disputes in complex construction and engineering endeavours.
- Advised owner/employers relating to EPC(m) contracts and complex supply agreements in the process and power sector.
- Legal 500 EMEA (2018): Recommended in Real Estate and Construction. “Newly promoted partner and head of construction Emma Niemistö is noted for her “expertise in construction management contracts“.”
- Chambers Europe, Real Estate (2018): “Sources single out the team’s “prompt response times, good understanding of client needs and solution-focused approach”. Another interviewee remarks that the department offers “a very high service level”.”
- Listed in Euromoney Legal Media Group (LMG) Expert Guide’s Rising Stars in the Construction category in 2016, 2017 and 2018.