Partner, Attorney-at-Law, Trained at the Bench
Arttu Mentula has been a legal advisor in numerous competition law cases involving merger control clearances before the Finnish Competition Authority and the European Commission, cartel cases, horizontal agreements and other co-operation between competitors, abuse of a dominant position, distribution systems, compliance programs, state aid and public procurement matters. In addition, Arttu’s expertise includes various litigation, mergers and acquisitions, marketing law and contract law matters.Expertise
- Competition law
- Public procurement
- Marketing law
- Merilampi Attorneys Ltd., Partner 2002 –
- Castrén & Snellman Attorneys at Law, Lawyer 1999 – 2002
- Arent Fox Kintner Plotkin & Kahn, Washington D.C., Visiting Attorney 1996
- Valio Ltd, Legal Counsel and General Counsel 1995 – 1999
- Chairman of the Finnish Competition Law Association 2000 – 2002 and now Board Member
- Chief Editor of the Yearbook of the Finnish Competition Law Association
- Appointed expert of the ICC’s Commission on Competition in Finland
- Kari Kuitunen Attorneys at Law, Lawyer 1992 – 1994
- Represented local dairies before the Market Court regarding Valio’s predatory pricing in the fresh milk market. The Market Court imposed on Valio fines in the amount of EUR 70 million, which remains the highest fine for a single company in Finland. Represents the dairies in the follow-on damages litigation against Valio before the Helsinki District Court.
- Represented Skanska in the Asphalt cartel proceedings before the Market Court and the Supreme Administrative Court. Represented Skanska in the follow-on damages litigation before the Helsinki District Court and now the Court of Appeal.
- Represented Uponor Corporation in the merger control proceedings regarding the Uponor/KWH merger before the Finnish Competition Authority and the Market Court. The Market Court cleared the transaction conditionally. The deal was only the third merger that the Finnish Competition Authority had attempted to block since Finland’s merger control regime was established in 1998.
- Represented Rautaruukki Corporation and Wärtsilä Corporation in merger control proceedings before the EU Commission regarding the Oy Ovako Ab joint venture with SKF AB. The Commission cleared the transaction unconditionally.
- Represented Stonesoft Corporation in its dispute with Check Point Software Technologies before the EU Commission regarding the abuse of a dominant position in the proceedings that led to commitments set by the Commission.
- Represented major forest industry companies regarding their co-operation in R&D.
- Represents clients in various private follow-on damages, public procurement and other litigation.
- Published book "Cartels in Finnish and EC Competition Law", 2002
- Published book "Abuse of a dominant position in Competition Law", 1998 (co-author)
- Published several articles on competition law and public procurement
- Legal 500, EU and Competition: Merilampi ranked in tier 2. "The communication flow is flawless at Merilampi and the commitment is outstanding and exceptional, demonstrating its ability even in the most complex areas."
- Chambers Europe, Competition/European Law: Arttu Mentula and Merilampi ranked in Band 2. "Arttu Mentula leads the firm's competition department and draws wide-ranging praise for his established presence in the field, with clients particularly appreciating his extensive knowledge of merger control and cartel cases."
- Global Competition Review’s GCR 100: Merilampi ranked as Highly Recommended. "Who’s Who Legal Competition nominee Arttu Mentula leads the competition group at Merilampi, practising with partner Erkko Ruohoniemi and a team of one specialist counsel and five associates. The firm has a solid behavioural and transactional record, with particular expertise in the regulated energy and telecoms markets."
- Master of Laws (LL.M.), University of Helsinki, 1992
- Trained at the Bench, 1995
Telephone: +358 50 525 5435
Assistant: Maria Kännö
Telephone: +358 50 364 4505
Telephone: +358 9 686 481
Fax: +358 9 6864 8484